Inside: Create these easy salt dough fossils for your kids to excavate in this cool dinosaur fossil sensory bin. Check out all our awesome dinosaur activities for kids here.
This activity marks the fifth dinosaur activity in our dinosaur themed unit.
So far we’ve colored these cool dinosaur coloring page worksheets, played in an awesome dinosaur world sensory bin, experimented with fizzy dinosaur eggs in this dinosaur STEM activity, and created these cute dinosaur handprint keepsakes.
Today, I’m going to show you how to create these cool DIY dinosaur bones with a simple salt dough recipe.
Read on below to see just how simple this is to make at your home!
DIY Dinosaur Fossils
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure here.
There are a couple different ways you can go about using these dinosaur bones with your kids.
You can make the dinosaur fossils yourself, then add them to an excavation sensory bin like we did or you can have your child help you make the dino fossils and have two activities in one!
Dinosaur Skeleton Salt Dough Supplies
- Paint Brush
- Activity Trays
Create Your Own Dinosaur Fossil Directions
1. Mix 2 cups flour, 1 cup salt, and 1 cup water together in a bowl.
2. Knead the dough for 2 minutes or until it’s firm.
3. Create your own dinosaur bones with the dough. Use your imagination to create your own fossil shapes or use the guide below to create a few T Rex fossils.
4. Bake the dinosaur bones at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes per inch of thickness.
5. Allow bones to cool completely.
6. Add the dinosaur bones to an activity tray and cover with sand.
That’s all there is to it.
Just give your kids a paint brush and let them excavate the buried dinosaur bones!