Inside: Learn how to make sidewalk chalk paint for kids and get them outside playing with this colorful and fun activity. It’s easy to make and makes for great messy playtime.
Summertime is the best time to get kids outside to enjoy all the sunshine and warmth!
It’s been loaded with fun!
But sometimes it gets kinda routine and you don’t know what to do with the kiddos.
Today, I’m sharing this simple recipe on how to make homemade sidewalk chalk paint.
My kids had a blast with this and I’m sure your children will too.
Read on below to see how easy and fun it is to get set up for your family.
DIY Sidewalk Chalk
Homemade Sidewalk Paint Supplies
- baking soda
- food dye
- squeeze bottles (one for each color you’d like)
DIY Chalk Paint Directions
1. In a large bowl combine equal parts cornstarch and baking soda. Stir to combine.
2. A little at a time, add warm water until the mixture is the consistency of poster paint.
3. Separate the mixture into small bowls, one for each color you use. Add in food coloring until the mixture reaches your desired shade. I used about 20 drops in each of mine.
4. Pour each bowl into a separate squeeze bottle.
Important Note: You’ll want to use these paints right after you make them. If you don’t the baking soda will eventually settle and you won’t be able to squeeze the paint through the bottles.
You can let your kids go to town creating any sort of designs they want or just randomly squeeze and see what happens.
You can also have your child name each of the colors and see if combining two colors creates another, secondary color.
This is such a fun activity and kids love getting outside and being messy.
Bonus tip: If you want to make this even more fun, fill an empty squeeze bottle with vinegar. After your kids have finished their paintings, let them squeeze the vinegar and watch the chalk bubble up!
More Fun Sensory Play For Kids
- Frozen Ocean Sensory Bin
- Easy Salt Dough Fossils For A Dinosaur Excavation Sensory Bin
- Ocean Theme Preschool Sensory Bin
Outdoor Ideas For Kids
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure here.