Inside: Your kids will love this frozen ocean sensory fun that’s perfect for outdoor play during those hot summer months! Plus see all our fun ocean kids activities.
If you haven’t been following along, these sensory bins mark the fourth ocean themed activity in our at home summer camp series.
Each activity we’ve done so far was a fun and educational way to introduce the ocean theme for kids and it had them asking many questions about the ocean ecosystem.
Today, we’re bringing things outside to get a little messy and engage all the senses!
Read on below to learn how to make these fun frozen ocean sensory bins for your kids.
Frozen Ocean Sensory Fun
Ocean Outdoor Sensory Play Supplies:
- Plastic Activity Trays
- Water Beads
- Small Plastic Ocean Animals (or this set that includes all the items in one!)
- Baking Soda
- Plastic Medicine Droppers
Ocean Summer Sensory Bin Directions:
1. Add a few tablespoons of water beads to balloons.
2. Stretch the balloons out a little. Add small plastic ocean animals.
3. Fill the balloons with water.
4. Place the water balloons in a bowl and freeze them overnight.
5. Add water beads to an art tray or shallow bin.
6. Add water and allow the beads to expand. This will take a few hours.
8. Put baking soda, salt, water and vinegar into small bowls or paper cups.
9. Take the water balloon out of the freezer and cut the balloon off.
10. Place the balloon onto the activity tray.
11. Let your child use a spoon to add salt and baking soda onto the frozen ball.
12. Use a medicine dropper to suck up water or vinegar and squirt it onto the frozen ball.
Let your kids rescue the ocean animals inside the frozen balls.
Ask them to make observations about their rescue play.
Discuss whether water or vinegar melts the ice faster.
Have them use warm water versus cold water and see which of the two helps free the animals better.
Ask them to describe what happens when the baking soda and water touch each other.
This ocean activity is a great way to engage all your child’s senses and get them excited to learn all about the ocean and its animals!