With summer time approaching, we’re dreaming about all the crafty things we can do while the kids are out of school!
We’ve already done tons of fun crafts , but there’s never too many craft ideas, right?
Since there are 2 boys in our home, most of our activities are gender neutral or slightly focused on the boy end of the spectrum.
Today we’re changing things up and making an easy girls’ craft perfect for summertime! This photo mermaid craft is so sweet and fun to make too.
It’s another ocean craft for kids that your kids will enjoy!
Easy Mermaid Paper Craft
- Colored card stock (in mermaid colors and skin tone colors)
- Glue stick (this one is my favorite when working with heavy paper)
- Photo of your child’s face (about 3″ wide)
- Mermaid craft template
Download the mermaid template. There are 2 templates included in the file. One is for a single child and the other is formatted for multiple children or classes.
Use the template of your choice and cut out all the pieces on the coordinating colored card stock. This is where you can really encourage your child to use their imagination!
We used pinks and purples, but have them try lots of different color combinations and see which one they like best.
Place some glue along the top of the mermaid tail and glue to the bottom of the body piece.
Attach the swim top to the main body and glue in place.
Use the scissors to cut out the child’s face from the photo. Place the bangs piece of the hair on top of the photo and glue in place.
Attach the child’s photo to the front of the neck like in the picture below.
Put glue along the back of the photo and glue it on top of the main piece of hair.
Use the markers to make scales on the mermaid tail and hair marks throughout the hair.
That’s all you need to do to create your own mini mermaid of your child!
We’re certain little girls will want to make endless combinations of photo mermaids for themselves and all their friends.
In fact, this craft is a perfect activity to do at sleepovers, play dates or even at a mermaid themed birthday party!
Don’t forget to enter your email in the form at the end of the page to download the free mermaid craft template.
More Ocean Ideas For Kids
We love borrowing books from the library or buying some to add to our home collection. Reading is a great way to introduce a new unit and as you know, has tremendous benefits! Below are some of the top rated ocean books for kids!
The Snail and the Whale– Julia Donaldson, author of the famous book The Gruffalo, brings kids another fun book about an unlikely set of friends. Snail and Whale have lots of fun together in this colorful book!
Shark Lady– This children’s book is based upon the true story of Eugenie Clark, aka, The Shark Lady. Learn about her love of sharks, her discoveries, and the inspiring message of going after what you want in life.
The Rainbow Fish -This is a classic children’s book with a wonderful message for children. In it, a fish learns to share his favorite possession, his glitttery scales, with his friends!
For more ocean themed crafts, check out some of our favorite below:
Another fun option is this ocean play dough set. It’s sparkly and comes with several cool fish!
More Summer Activities For Kids
- Download the mermaid template. There are 2 templates included in the file. One is for a single child and the other is formatted for multiple children or classes.
- Use the template of your choice and cut out all the pieces on the coordinating colored card stock.
- Use the scissors to cut out the child's face as well.
- Assemble the mermaid by gluing the body piece behind the mermaid tail. Glue the swim top over the chest area. Attach the child's photo to the front of the neck. Secure the front piece of the hair in front of the child's photo, then attach the back piece of the hair to the entire head, neck and the top portion of the body.
- Use the markers to make scales on the mermaid tail and hair marks throughout the hair.